Normal day, let me be aware of the treasure you are. Let me learn from you, love you, bless you before you depart. Let me not pass by in quest of some rare and perfect tomorrow. Let me hold you while I may, for it may not always be so. One day I shall dig my nails into the earth, or bury my face in the pillow, or stretch myself taut, or raise my hands to the sky and want, more than all the world, your return. - Mary Jean Iron

Friday, April 3, 2009

Curious about the Green Thumb

So, I have had several people ask about the progress of our indoor garden plot and I thought it best to just give you a brief picture overview. I get periodic updates on the actual size of our garden and the latest number of species in our 800 square foot apartment is approximately 140. It continues to amaze me how Adam can take a small, shriveled leaf or clipping and within weeks there is brand new life sprouting out of the soil. 

I will give myself a brief plug because I have not reached the level of full time greenhouse caretaker and find joy in any success. I am usually much more content to watch the planting, watering, and waiting process, rather than participate and, heaven forbid, risk plant injury or death. However, despite my insecurities when it comes to our gardens, Adam was gone for a week to Portland, and he returned with not a single tragedy to grieve. Granted, my only job was to water specific plants that were in the germination stage  (about four out of the whopping 140) , but I am proud nonetheless. 

If you are not a plant lover or struggle to find joy in new green growth, take it from a novice who has the most rudimentary of skills when I say that it is all worth it. From one puny aloe plant 3 years ago, we (mostly he) have learned to treasure the greenery that blankets our windowsills and dresser tops. And, we like to think that in some small way we are contributing to the beauty of the earth. 

Now, enjoy a little picture tour of our progress to date. 



String of Pearls...One of my favorites.


Some of our babies

No comments: