Normal day, let me be aware of the treasure you are. Let me learn from you, love you, bless you before you depart. Let me not pass by in quest of some rare and perfect tomorrow. Let me hold you while I may, for it may not always be so. One day I shall dig my nails into the earth, or bury my face in the pillow, or stretch myself taut, or raise my hands to the sky and want, more than all the world, your return. - Mary Jean Iron

Monday, May 2, 2011

Cheese Making

I am currently snuggled up on the fouton with a cup of tea, my laptop, a david sedaris book, and my favorite little sister asleep next to me. Life is sweet.

Regardless of the grueling week of finals that I just finished (and that Adam is about to begin), being a student is pretty darn amazing. We work our tails off during the semester, passing tests, completing lab practicals, proving that we are worthy to be doctoral students, but then at the end of each semester we look forward to a summer break of sorts where we can put all of the old notes on the shelf and just do whatever:) It is quite liberating.

My 2 weeks of freedom (unfortunately Adam and I don't have the same break this semester) has brought me to my home sweet home in the mountains of TN where we have been planting potatoes, visiting with old friends, taking siestas, baking delicious dinners, playing soccer in the yard, etc.

Taking a nap at Joseph's regatta.


At the completion of our family soccer game (boys won:) Mom played too but she also played photographer.


In fact, I have even checked off one of the items on my to do list...tonight we made Mozzarella Cheese!!

yum.





Slicing the curd


Monitoring the temperature.


Straining the whey.


Molding the finished product.


I am crazy about these guys. (but we sure miss Adam, Pat, and Anna!)


The chickens are now free ranging around the yard, and for some reason I find them to be incredibly entertaining. Here they are just snooping around the front porch.


Sweet dreams from the mountains!

No comments: