Normal day, let me be aware of the treasure you are. Let me learn from you, love you, bless you before you depart. Let me not pass by in quest of some rare and perfect tomorrow. Let me hold you while I may, for it may not always be so. One day I shall dig my nails into the earth, or bury my face in the pillow, or stretch myself taut, or raise my hands to the sky and want, more than all the world, your return. - Mary Jean Iron

Friday, October 23, 2009

Harvest Reunion

I love October! This past weekend we drove 2.5 hours south to spend a couple of days with the LaRochelle family in Charlottesville, VA. My dad and little siblings were on fall break, so we opted to spend time together picking apples, ice skating, bottling cider, etc. in celebration of the harvest season.

I have been sick with some kind of chest cold, which was disappointing for the much anticipated weekend, but there is something so healing about things like my mom making me tea and rubbing my shoulders. Being babied is the best medicine sometimes.

I am amazed every time my family reunites because my little brother is always not-so-little anymore and my sister is like a little version of me. Our precious time together is always a little bit chaotic, but it is what makes every minute so damn fun.

We headed up to Carter's Mountain on Saturday for a little apple picking. We probably spent more time napping and enjoying the view than we did actually picking but we left with 4 hefty bags of crisp, delicious apples.




Joseph and Susanna made two fabulous batches of applesauce, both very different, but both very good. All of us seem to have a thing for being creative with food.



We spent Sunday afternoon tearing up the ice skating rink. We may be chaotic but we sure know how to have a good time.






No comments: