Normal day, let me be aware of the treasure you are. Let me learn from you, love you, bless you before you depart. Let me not pass by in quest of some rare and perfect tomorrow. Let me hold you while I may, for it may not always be so. One day I shall dig my nails into the earth, or bury my face in the pillow, or stretch myself taut, or raise my hands to the sky and want, more than all the world, your return. - Mary Jean Iron

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Free time

This is slightly embarassing but for the past day and a half I have been pasted to the couch, eating nachos and brownies and letting my mind wander as far from the classroom as possible. I finished my last midterm yesterday and I feel on top of the world. At the moment, I am reveling in these precious moments when I don't have a single assignment or obligation. I will enjoy it by sitting on the front porch in the rain with a really delicious pint of IPA or perhaps taking a walk with my best friend.

One of the best parts of knowing that my spring break starts in a mere two days is that on Saturday morning I shall fly to meet my mama for a week in Sarasota, FL. On the agenda: mornings of fresh coffee while enjoying the bay view, pedicures, farmers markets, seafood, siesta key, and I could go on...but I don't want to make you jealous. Following this, I will fly for a long weekend in Nashville with some of my dearest friends and sisters...the GPS crew. It will be rejuvinating.

For now, just a few things that have brought me joy over the past two weeks....

This beautiful quote by the profound Annie Dillard:

“I am a frayed and nibbled survivor in a fallen world, and I am getting along. I am not washed and beautiful, in control of a shining world in which everything fits, but instead am wondering awed about on a splintered wreck I've come to care for, whose gnawed trees breathe a delicate air, whose bloodied and scarred creatures are my dearest companions, and whose beauty bats and shines not in its imperfections but overwhelmingly in spite of them..." Annie Dillard


My cousin Emily got married in Sarasota, which meant a weekend reunion of the five girls. I am so blessed to have four of the most beautiful cousins and closest friends, and I'll take any excuse I can get to spend time with these four.

Rachel, Becca, Emily, Ryan, and Me:)

Emily's wedding day was also my Grandparent's anniversary. I love these two and I hope that we look this in love when we reach our 6th decade of marriage.


And with the wedding comes the dancing.


No comments: