Normal day, let me be aware of the treasure you are. Let me learn from you, love you, bless you before you depart. Let me not pass by in quest of some rare and perfect tomorrow. Let me hold you while I may, for it may not always be so. One day I shall dig my nails into the earth, or bury my face in the pillow, or stretch myself taut, or raise my hands to the sky and want, more than all the world, your return. - Mary Jean Iron

Saturday, August 29, 2009

City Folk

It is no exaggeration to say that the pace of our lives just stepped up about 10 notches. After two months of fun, we are buckled down for 4 years of rigorous studya.

This past week we have been busy with orientation, registration, and completing our small office where we will spend a majority of our time in the coming months. I am still getting used to the metro that I will be riding every morning for about 30 minutes. I have already found that there is something therapeutic about riding on a noisy train full of strangers where I can drink my coffee and read a book/after class. It is funny how we have adjusted so quickly to a lifestyle that is far different from what we have come from. Though we miss the natural beauty and slower pace of Missoula (and of course our friends there:), DC is overflowing with museums, music, culture, good food, and interesting people. I think it will keep us quite busy.

I thought I would post a couple of pictures to document our life in DC so far. A couple of these are from our time up in New England with the LaRochelle clan.

Enjoying some delicious Ethiopian food off of Logan Circle.

One of the many incredible fossil exhibits at the Natural History Museum. Pat and I were there for hours

Picking a pail full of apples for our rhubarb/apple crisp fresh from the backyard of 88 Bellevue (home to the marvelous Grandma LaRochelle)

The masterpiece.

Hanging out on the porch with our beautiful grandmother.

Saying goodbye

Brewing his first batch of beer...a yummy cream ale.

Bottling the near finished product. Now we just have to wait 10 days to try it!!


1 comment:

Mosey said...

Mags! So glad to finally read an update! I cannot wait to catch up soon- I am so glad you're liking DC!